8.04.2004

So I've got Switchfoot's "Meant to Live" stuck in my head, and how. I have to say that even though I've been hearing the song all summer, it finally hit me in some sort of pop-rock sweetspot (this happens occasionally). I predict that I will listen to it everyday for the next week or so as my get-up-in-the-morning song, and then return to it every couple of weeks or so. I don't know, there's just something about epic radio songs that ask you to live up to your potential that really get to me – Stan Bush's "Dare" and, you know, the entire Andrew WK canon come to mind. Especially since the Switchfoot package is so banal and polished – I watched the video and they just look like a central casting "rock band," wearing all kindsa tight li'l t-shirts and leather armbands and sweatbands and chunky watches and, god help me, the drummer's even wearing a trucker hat. Also, to watch the video, there seem to be about a million guitarists in the band, but it's a little hard to tell since a) they're in different rooms for some reason and b) the camera seems to only wanna make a star out of the singer. Which makes sense, since he's the kind of blond mopheaded singer that cameras seem to love. He looks a bit like the singer for the Goo Goo Dolls (name escapes me, I seem to remember it's something complicated with lots of consonants). Anyway. I would love for there to be a roadtrip sometime soon where I could sing this song really loud while hanging out the window, but I fear that's not going to happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home