9.27.2004

Another 8:30 Morning

Okay. So the thing I was in at 8:30 for on Friday never ended up happening, so I was told, again, to be there at 8:30 today. Fine. Okay. So I drag my tired didn't-go-to-bed-when-I-was-supposed-to ass to work, and arrive shortly before 8:30. I sit down, put my perishable food items in the fridge, and promptly pass out, figuring that I'll get a few moments of quiet before work formally begins. Of course this is the one day when he needs me before 9. So I wake to the CEO hanging over my cube wall saying "Sorry to wake you." It's a little embarrassing. Of course, all he needs me to do is print out a coupla documents - documents he already has. It takes me a sum total of 10 seconds. I'm so glad I was there for that.

Eh, this is getting a little too curmudgeonly for my taste. Now, not that I'm ecstatic about always being there early, but it's NOT terrible. Besides, for some reason, I'm leaning toward some sort of higher job satisfaction level. Not sure what that's all about, but my attitude's been a little bit more positive. So whereas before it was hovering in the 65-70 range, it's now nudging more toward 75 or so. It helped I think that the Sprite presentation that I worked so hard on (and quite enjoyed, in addition) went apparently very well on Friday. Not that that means we're going to get the business, but they did say we displayed "revolutionary thinking." Whatever that means. I've been feeling pretty happy with the actual work I've been turning out too, which is nice. I go in cycles, where I'll be happy with nothing, and then there will be weeks where I feel like I sneeze and good stuff comes out. I mean, I know that's not true, because I mostly exist in the big middle bit of the bell curve, but some days are easier for me than others. Creativity is weird. Because to some extent my job is very technical and relies on me knowing my programs and being able to use them properly. But the other bit is the part that I don't feel like I have any control over - it's like I have to give my brain the proper environment, and it will come up with things. But I don't know how it does it. It's a little frightening, because it's very easy to have the technical bits all down cold, memorized, but you can't memorize inspiration. Not that I'm doing anything ground-breaking at work, but largely what I do is guess. Guessing what will look good to me, and hopefully, to other people. It's a strange thing. It's like the part of my brain that doesn't quite let me functional in a rational, normal way, the part that makes me forget my cellphone and stare into space and be all spacy - that's the part that gets rewarded at work for being non-linear, random and mysterious. Bizarre. I'll have to think more about this.

In other news, the Super Clean 24/7 laundromat that I passed by this morning thinking "Will it ever open?" finally opened tonight. It looks like a very shiny, sparkly new laundromat. I've never seen that before. All laundromats look like they've been half-shitty forever. It's too bad that I'll never use it since I have a washer/dryer downstairs gloatgloatgloat.

Oh, wow, I can't end an entry on that kind of horrible mean note. Uh...bunnies are soft. Good night!

3 Comments:

At October 3, 2004 at 9:38 AM, Blogger Brian said...

8:30am as early amuses me.

 
At October 3, 2004 at 11:40 AM, Blogger Stefan said...

It's more that it's...unnecessary than anything else. And seeing as I don't sleep nearly enough as it is, that extra half-hour to an hour of sleep is way more important than it should be. :)

 
At October 3, 2004 at 12:04 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Sleep is way over-rated anyway. It's much more fun, as you probably well know, to jitter through the day on a coffee induced caffiene high.

On a similar note, I saw the best name for a coffee shop yesterday - Jitterz (points deducted for the 'z' at the end).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home